Monday, October 09, 2006

CRASH by Paul Haggis

I don't know how I missed this movie, but I did and watched it last night and for the first time in many years, I was truly moved. I could indentify myself with so many characters. With Sandra Bullock (when she was scared of the two black men), with Terrence Howard (as he watched his wife get humiliated), with Matt Dillon ( as he watched his father on the pot), with one of the Car jackers ( whose mom loved him so much and his brother Don Cheadle who got his hands dirty to clean his record) .

Just couldn't identify with the locksmith who could reassure his lil daughter and put her to sleep.

4 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Blogger Sarat said...

Yup! Crash is a very good movie. I think what I liked most about the movie is that it still had a touch of pathos (misused in several cases of movie-making but spot on here) which makes it very accessible to all people. That kind of stuff may or may not get you awards, but as a filmmaker who wants to not just express something, but also hand out a message - she/he has to reach out to people.

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually Crash won the Oscar that year

http://www.oscar.com/oscarnight/winners/index.html

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Sarat said...

Anonymous: Thanks. I did know that Crash won the Oscar. In general, movies displaying slightly heightened realism are not necessarily acclaimed by western movie critics. That unofficial convention though is being broken with a lot more often these days.

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Nev said...

Hmm Sarat, I think Oscars have always been fair to movies like Crash in the recent past. In fact the last action movie that won was Gladiator in 2000 and Braveheart in 1996 and those too had a right mix of action and realism during those times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home